Skip to main content
Beantwoord

Zyxe EX5601-T1 routing between 2 subnetwork

• 25 June 2024
  • 12 reacties
  • 148 Bekeken

I have 2 other routers home with 2 subnetworks connected to Zyxel EX5601-T1. I want devices from both subnetworks to communicate with each other. It seems I cannot modify routing tables. How can I achieve that?

12 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

Hello @AndrejStam 

Because of the custom firmware maybe it's not possible, in that case you could replace the Zyxel with another VLAN capable router.

Thanks. That’s not good. It doesn’t seem to be something special I’m asking.

Reputatie 1

You can install openwrt on this router. Then you have all flexibility:)

here is thread about this 

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/adding-openwrt-support-for-zyxel-ex5601-t0

Interesting. My other router (TP-LINK) is running OpenWRT, so it is not new to me. It is quite some work, though, and I guess it is not supported by Odido.

Thanks for hint.

Also, at this moment only EX5601-T0 is supported, so I need to wait until support for T1 is also implemented.

Reputatie 1

T1 is the simplified version of  T0 (removed SFP port). So, it is supported. And it is checked that this firmware flashes and works on Odido’s “T-56”

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

Odido has lended you the EX5601 so I would not recommend you to try and flash a new firmware or add openwrt.

Reputatie 1

why? :)

If you think about it, whatever solution which will support required routing - officially not going to be supported by odido.

in this case, there is potential solution for free, versus any other solution which will cost extra.

And if you consider risk of bricking device, then for sure it is better to go with T-56, as a lower risk.

Provider’s routers, due to obvious reasons, are heavy underpriced on secondary market :)

While, in this case, T-56 is decent device capable of running OWRT. No single reason to cost peanuts on secondary market, but it is…

If I were considering making decent wifi coverage for little money at home, I’d buy 4x of T-56 for about EUR100-120 ( for all of them together, looking at how things go on marktplaats), flashed OWRT and use them.

why? :)

If you think about it, whatever solution which will support required routing - officially not going to be supported by odido.

in this case, there is potential solution for free, versus any other solution which will cost extra.

And if you consider risk of bricking device, then for sure it is better to go with T-56, as a lower risk.

Provider’s routers, due to obvious reasons, are heavy underpriced on secondary market :)

While, in this case, T-56 is decent device capable of running OWRT. No single reason to cost peanuts on secondary market, but it is…

If I were considering making decent wifi coverage for little money at home, I’d buy 4x of T-56 for about EUR100-120 ( for all of them together, looking at how things go on marktplaats), flashed OWRT and use them.

Hi antst, please have a look at the post at

and leave a like and share your thoughts with Odido.

Reputatie 1

@hnbf4bf 

Actually, I’d probably agree with Odido’s choice. People who actually know what they are doing and what those additional settings might be right for, most likely, would prefer to install latest openwrt on the device. And for the rest, those setting is just an extra confusion :)

Although, this works only for T56, but not for T75, as that one is based on Broadcom chip, so no openwrt support.

@hnbf4bf

Actually, I’d probably agree with Odido’s choice. People who actually know what they are doing and what those additional settings might be right for, most likely, would prefer to install latest openwrt on the device. And for the rest, those setting is just an extra confusion :)

Although, this works only for T56, but not for T75, as that one is based on Broadcom chip, so no openwrt support.

It is common on these types of forums for high status users to parrot the company. I believe you are an example of that. You also know that it is in no way to the user's advantage to receive a device that has been made artificially stupid. By the way, there are numerous ways to render the device inoperable: forgetting the password, disabling DHCP, changing the IP, etc.

Reputatie 1

It is not parroting, and I am definitely not high status :)

Thing is, on any given day I’d prefer to get from company router which is capable of openwrt, flash it and use it. Moreover, when I was using simple routers than I do now, I was always buying ones which can be flashed to openwrt.

I agree that handycapped device is not good, but when it comes to “providers routers” then...you either call all of them handycapped, as they are, comparing to what you get with openwrt. (and not only providers devices, but one not customized which comes from Zyxel would be counted as such either).

Or, in my book, real handycapped was only one, ± decade ago KPN sent me router where I could not even set IP range for private network. That was the moment when I started to use my own routers :) And never looked back!

But, for “usual user”...I bet 99.99% of Odido users even have no idea what is private IP network. Less settings works for them.

Instead of adding “a bit of extra” settings to device which goes to everyone (and which is still handycapped in my book), as user, I’d love to see one of next two options:

1. choice of router, between basic which is good for 99.99% and something which is properly configurable (openwrt whatever)
  2. even better choice, I’d prefer that this money which provider uses to subsidize router (and which is charged from me as part of contract payment anyway) can be used toward subsidizing device of my choice (I believe this would be preferred option for most of “power users”). Although, I doubt this ever will be the case due to number of reasons.

And yes, I have experience of dealing with users on my own, in professional capacity, so I just understand what is ratio here. But, again, I don’t believe into “one size fits it all” (more handycapped or less handycapped, doesn’t matter). Proper answer would be to have a choice.

Reageer