Skip to main content
Beantwoord

XGS-PON speed

• 4 June 2024
  • 13 reacties
  • 105 Bekeken

So, finally my connection was fixed and fiber plugged into XGS-PON splitter.

I have 8Gbps contract.

But, no matter what I do (iperf3 or speediest, which iperf3 server etc), I can not get speed higher than 3Gbps. Mostly it is around 2gbps.

My router, for sure, can handle more than that.

What can be problem here?

13 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

Hallo @antst 

Have you tested with a laptop/pc directly connected to the Zyxel router without a switch? Make sure the cable and your laptop/pc is compatible for this speed and use the Ookla speedtest app.

Can you share the result here?

Reputatie 1

I don’t use zyxel router :)

It is netgate 6100. And, trust me, there are no issues in my home infrastructure (which is based on SFP+ switches). I have no problem with 10Gbps on iperf3 from any PC to any PC or router  in my home network. 

But iperf3 to external world is capped in both cases, if I iperf directly from router (it is pfSense, i.e. freeBSD) or from one of PCs behind router.

Reputatie 1

If someone can judge this info, this what ONT status page tells me (to me it looks OK, at least RX/TX power is ok)

Reputatie 1

for example, 

iperf3 -c speedtest.ams1.novogara.net -p 5200-5209 -P 20 gives 2.21 Gbits/sec

iperf3 -c speedtest.ams1.nl.leaseweb.net -p 5201-5210 -P 20 gives 2.98 Gbits/sec 

etc.

I tried also to run iperf3 in parallel to different iperf3 servers, but total sum between them is always capped in range 2-3Gbps

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

@antst

Odido can't help you when you have your own equipment connected, they also can't measure the line when own is equipment connected.

Reputatie 1

ONT is theirs :)

and problem is definitely behind ONT and the rest of world.

there is 0% chance that attaching zyxel to this ONT will magically show better speed. Worse - possibly :)

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

@antst 

Well atleast give it a try and connect only a laptop or pc wired to the Zyxel, share a printscreen of the result here and a moderator can further investigate this for you.

Reputatie 1

anyway, just in case, to exclude any doubts on my local infra, I will measure also with vyos router, which is capable of 40+gbps, but tomorrow.

Reputatie 1

@Waqqas yep, I will also ) it cost nothing )

it just easier for me to reconfigure local net to send traffic from ONT via vyos router, than unpack zyxel ))) in fist case I don’t need to stand up from my laptop even )

Reputatie 1

hm. actually, I can do even better! I can exclude any router at all and wire ONT to one of PCs directly.

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

@antst

These are the correct instructions of what Odido will need to start an investigation, with the Zyxel connected 😁

Reputatie 1

Without any router involved at all - it is ultimate test :) no even slightly possible chance of local bottleneck )

“PC↔router↔ONT” can not be better than “PC↔ONT” :)

Reputatie 1

ok, I have full speed. problem solved :)

Reageer