Skip to main content

Hello everyone!

Wanted to ask is it normall in Odido that their router is spamming network and trying to renew address every 15min? I was contacting via phone but unfortunately I wasn't understood by support, today service guy came to connect everything but I already did it myself (our street was connected in past two months) and he couldn't help me with this also.

That’s how log file looks, DHCP server renewing IP address every 15min. Still he keeps the same IP

Can’t it be like at least every 2h? Or in best scenario every 12h-24h? Or is it related that street was lately connected so they did it for service guys if they need to use other IP then assigned at the moment?

Just wonder is there a way to contact technicall support and talk with someone who can change settings?

Is there impact of this behavior? Yes, there is potential drop of 7% packets at moment when he try renew IP - so every 15min. It’s not a big deal, normal using internet there is no impact but only when you monitor network you can see this drop.

I notice when I was setting QOS and testing speeds, then I checked router and on chart I could see drop also

Hallo @nightcom 

I have the Zyxel router connected and also my router sends a DHCP request every 15 minutes, it seems normal because many more are reporting the same but we don't encounter any issues because of this.

Why whould somone set it to 15min? I don’t see reason for that other then flooding network and extra load for router - even according to RFC is not normal. There is no way to change it? Even 1h makes a difference when you serv 1Gbps to clients.

Just wanted to know is there a way to change it from Odido side? I mean I try to reach tech support other then phone that’s why I’m here.

Thank you for your help!

Remember, renewal of a DHCP lease is way ahead of its expiration in good networking.

REF: https://lazyadmin.nl/home-network/dhcp-lease-time/

Ben wel benieuwd waarom dit niet 1x per 12 of 24 uur is. 

Remember, renewal of a DHCP lease is way ahead of its expiration in good networking.

REF: https://lazyadmin.nl/home-network/dhcp-lease-time/

Did I mention in any of my comments that it’s not needed??? Strange line of defence but mostly people do that when they have nothing to add.

So you refering to some kind of blog and not RFC? That’s very professional, anyway so reading your blog I also notice this:

I guess 8h is minimum what they suggest even in link you gave me, more then that you marked your answer as “the best” - like a kid right?

I didn’t came here to argue and I don’t want to be arogant like you, you could simply answer that it can’t be changed and that’s all but it was to hard for your pride?

Anyway thank you for your support

The only reason to do that is for moving ip blocks around. and my guess is that some one changed it foor there conventions and never changed it back. now years later nobody knows why it is changed and don’t change it back because the don’t know why it is done and don’t wanna break things. 

The only reason to do that is for moving ip blocks around. and my guess is that some one changed it foor there conventions and never changed it back. now years later nobody knows why it is changed and don’t change it back because the don’t know why it is done and don’t wanna break things. 

That cross my mind also, from one side I’m not surprised that no one want to touch it if they don’t have good admin and management with balls - maybe they can hire some boys from ex XS4ALL 😁 best provider ever.

I just wonder is it only Odido like that? What about KPN? They also have lease set on 15min? I only had experience with XS4ALL and Ziggo, when XS4ALL combined with KPN I was just moving and I had to take Ziggo in new apartment. Odido was only mobile (ex T-mobile).

Anyway I will try to attack them via support maybe I can reach techs somehow. I know that some providers do that and even worst like every 5min renew, it’s well know problem around internet but in many cases customer is able to convince ISP.

Thank you @Hidden.nld 

WOW @nightcom .. running of the path a little to fast, that i would be here to be some arrogant bastard like you say .. or think i might be.

The blog is not mine, i just mostly give references where information about some topics in networking is explained.

By the way, i’m not able to mark my answer as being the solution, a moderator does … sometimes a little over enthusiastic.

The first thought was in the same line as what @Hidden.nld wrote, but i also focused on you loosing 7% of your internet speed due to this.

This was my 2 cent .. feeling like walking on very thin ice here with you.

EDIT for an extra NOTE: All we do here within this community is “Customer helping other Customers” (Medeklanten)

Reageer