Beantwoord

Using Linksys Velop router and setting Zysel T-56 to bridge mode

• 22 January 2024
  • 10 reacties
  • 201 Bekeken

Hi,

I 've recently switched to odido and opted for 2 gbps connection. I 've provided with modem-router combo Zysel T-56 and I would like to use Linksys Velop WHW03 mesh system as the main router and nodes. I 've connected Linksys Velop main node (router) to the  Zysel T-56 with a CAT6 cable.

1. I 've disabled 2.4 Ghz , 5 Ghz wifi in Zyzel T-56, so that I can use wifi from Linksys routers. Is there anything else I 've to disable or configure in  Zyzel T-56 or in Linksys router?
  2. I 've been reading about bridge mode, so that Linksys acts as the only router and Zysel just works as a modem, but I don't know how to do that. Or is it possible to remove Zysel altogether, so that Linksys (or any other mesh system in future) acts as the modem and router? And what 's your recommendation  on these options? Can you share detailed instructions to try both these options?

Many Thanks!

icon

Beste antwoord door Sven-Odido 1 February 2024, 16:11

Bekijk origineel

10 reacties

I’m curious about this too since I am considering the switch from Ziggo to Odido.

Reputatie 7
Badge +4

Hi, 

The zyxel cannot be placed into bridge modem. If your own router supports VLAN on the WAN side, you can connect it to the ONT and remove the Zyxel modem. 

All the needed settings can be found here; 

https://assets.odido.nl/x/6ba57ca29d/eigen-modem-modem-instellingen.pdf 

Hi, 

The zyxel cannot be placed into bridge modem. If your own router supports VLAN on the WAN side, you can connect it to the ONT and remove the Zyxel modem. 

All the needed settings can be found here; 

https://assets.odido.nl/x/6ba57ca29d/eigen-modem-modem-instellingen.pdf 

Hi Sven, thank you for your reaction. The Zyxel modem is in that case purely a router if you can remove it for your own router? Am I correct?

After initial setup Odido with the Zyxel, this can be removed and replaced with my mesh system? It's the Velop Triband WHW0303. It seems to support vlans, but not sure yet.

Just noticed that WAN max speed is 1GB/s. Good to know when to select speed package.

Well … just noticed that my Lynksys Velop WHW0303 does not support VLANs, unfortunately. Therefor, I have two options in replacing the Velop system:

1. Use Odido's WiFi Plus units through subsrciption. Costs: €30 per unit per year. I needed three Velop units for a good WiFi coverage. So I probably need three WiFi Plus units. Total costs €90 per year. Way too expensive.

2. Replace the Velops with a mesh system that does support VLAN. Further reading says that support for EasyMesh (Whatever that is) is mandatory .… ?
    I read that TP-Link mesh systems support VLANs? Eg. the Deco X20?

Am I correct? Any comments on this? Thank you!

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

Hello @Snowkrash1974 

TP-LINK Deco's are a good option. They support VLAN and you can connect one unit as router to the mediaconverter so you won't need the Zyxel.

Hello @Snowkrash1974 

TP-LINK Deco's are a good option. They support VLAN and you can connect one unit as router to the mediaconverter so you won't need the Zyxel.

Hi! Thnx for the answer. It helps!

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

@Snowkrash1974 

When the Deco is connected to the mediaconverter, in the app go to more, advanced, IPTV/VLAN, enable IPTV/VLAN, mode custom, internet VLAN 300, priority 0.

After saving and restarting internet should work 🙂

Thanks, Waqqas! I’ll keep this in my favourites.

last question: which Deco type (wifi6) do you advice to work with Odido?

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

@Snowkrash1974

All Deco sets support VLAN, have a look at the prices and specifications and chose the one which is best for you ✅

Check! :-) 

Reageer