Skip to main content

Just Ordered 8 Gbit/s Fiber - Zyxel Router

• 23 May 2024
  • 6 reacties
  • 101 Bekeken

Hi there! Apologies for the English. I’m an expat in Weert and am still learning Dutch 🙂

I have had KPN 1 Gbit/s fiber for the last year. I saw that Odido offered a higher speed, so ordered the 8 Gbit/s package. I have a Ubiquiti Unifi Dream Machine Pro SE on order and am trying to figure out if I can use a direct optical connection with it after removing the Zyxel from the loop.

I have seen quite a few threads on this but, as a newcomer to SPF connections, I’m trying to make sense of it all. Am I correct in thinking that if I can figure out the correct SPF+ module to order, I can use an optical cable from the wall to the UDM?

This may be a stupid question, but I thought it best to ask directly. Thanks in advance for any info!

6 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

Hello @swanksteak 

If you have a compatible 10G XGSPON SFP than that should be possible, you will need to register the SFP module with Odido and configure VLAN 300 (DHCP) to the WAN side 

Wow! Thanks for the ultra-fast response!

It’s great to hear that it should be possible. I’ve seen a few references to a Nokia, a Cisco, and a few others here in the forum. Do you happen to know if this one qualifies?

https://www.fs.com/de-en/products/39135.html

Thanks so much for the response!

Reputatie 6
Badge +3

Hi @swanksteak

The one you linked is not suitable for XGSPON. You will need a special one like this: 

https://www.fs.com/de-en/products/185594.html

These are every expensive, there are some cheaper one out there as well. Also the results to get it working arent that great yet. Not every SPF works out of the box, some neet special settings on the OLT to work. 

Also if it does not work, you will need to call Odido to have the orginal Huawei ONT registerd agian to test. Which can take up to 5 days. 

Other option is to use the Huawei ONT and use a 10G ethernet SPF to connect to the UDM. 

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

@swanksteak

I'm not sure which one is compatible but the one you provided is for 1 Gbps (AON) connections, you'll need a 10G XGSPON SFP and can your router handle these speeds?

@swanksteak

I'm not sure which one is compatible but the one you provided is for 1 Gbps (AON) connections, you'll need a 10G XGSPON SFP and can your router handle these speeds?

Oops! thanks for pointing that out. I totally overlooked it!

Hi @swanksteak

The one you linked is not suitable for XGSPON. You will need a special one like this: 

https://www.fs.com/de-en/products/185594.html

These are every expensive, there are some cheaper one out there as well. Also the results to get it working arent that great yet. Not every SPF works out of the box, some neet special settings on the OLT to work. 

Also if it does not work, you will need to call Odido to have the orginal Huawei ONT registerd agian to test. Which can take up to 5 days. 

Other option is to use the Huawei ONT and use a 10G ethernet SPF to connect to the UDM. 

Thanks for this. It certainly sounds very problematic at the moment. The option of using a 10G Ethernet SPF is intriguing. If there any tradeoff in speed with this? If not, it seems much, much easier 😃

Reageer