Skip to main content

The latest Odido app on our AppleTV always has audio description on, both for live TV and recorded programs. Changing the options doesn’t help.

This is really annoying...

Hi @Jim1234567890, I would love to solve this for you to make sure you will be able to watch tv normally! Does this appear on all channels or is it only specific channels which show the audio description? 

Can you double check that the subtitle settings in the menu are either set on standard or turned completely off? Also if you change the subtitle settings, do they stay the same or do they change back to the previous selected option? 

Hi. As far as I can tell, this is for all channels (they are all marked as AL on the programme guide).

Subtitles are normally off, but if I turn them on then they do appear.

I have only 2 options on say, BBC One, for audio: English, Audio Description. It doesn’t matter which I choose, I still get the AD. This is the case for both live and recorded programmes.

The Options menu remembers all settings, it’s just not changing anything for the audio settings.

Audio descriptions are also turned off in the AppleTV options, btw

Thank you for all the information @Jim1234567890! Have you already tried to delete the app completely and reinstall it? If this doesn't work, I will send this to my colleagues from the technical department so that they can investigate this. In this case can you please tell me the type number of your AppleTV? And since when has this problem started? Lastly I want to ask you if you are able to film the audio description and to show the audio settings in this video. This way my colleagues from the technical department can immediately verify the problem and start the investigation for you. You can upload the file to WeTransfer and share the link in this topic, so we can access the video. Thank you so much! 

Reinstalling didn’t help. I’m not quite sure what the video will prove, but here it is https://we.tl/t-7JXRcC8zBO

The problem is quite straighforward to explain. The audio description is always on for all programmes which are marked with AL. The audio settings make no difference. An exception was Countryfile yesterday (13/10/2024) on BBC One, which seemed OK. We foolishly thought it was fixed 😞 But it is back to being always on again today.
This is also an issue on recorded programmes that we recorded before we started having the problem. In fact I watched the first half of one programme without AD, then when I came back to it a couple of days later, AD started. Clearly there is now something always on somewhere.

The AppleTV is a model A1842 with 32G of RAM. The problem seemed to start on 10/10/2024, when I think the AppleTV updated itself to tvOS 18.0 (22J357).

Audio Descriptions are also turned off on the AppleTV itself, so only the Odido app has this problem.

Reageer