Skip to main content
Beantwoord

XGS-PON speed

• 4 June 2024
  • 13 reacties
  • 106 Bekeken

So, finally my connection was fixed and fiber plugged into XGS-PON splitter.

I have 8Gbps contract.

But, no matter what I do (iperf3 or speediest, which iperf3 server etc), I can not get speed higher than 3Gbps. Mostly it is around 2gbps.

My router, for sure, can handle more than that.

What can be problem here?

Hallo @antst 

Have you tested with a laptop/pc directly connected to the Zyxel router without a switch? Make sure the cable and your laptop/pc is compatible for this speed and use the Ookla speedtest app.

Can you share the result here?

I don’t use zyxel router :)

It is netgate 6100. And, trust me, there are no issues in my home infrastructure (which is based on SFP+ switches). I have no problem with 10Gbps on iperf3 from any PC to any PC or router  in my home network. 

But iperf3 to external world is capped in both cases, if I iperf directly from router (it is pfSense, i.e. freeBSD) or from one of PCs behind router.

If someone can judge this info, this what ONT status page tells me (to me it looks OK, at least RX/TX power is ok)

for example, 

iperf3 -c speedtest.ams1.novogara.net -p 5200-5209 -P 20 gives 2.21 Gbits/sec

iperf3 -c speedtest.ams1.nl.leaseweb.net -p 5201-5210 -P 20 gives 2.98 Gbits/sec 

etc.

I tried also to run iperf3 in parallel to different iperf3 servers, but total sum between them is always capped in range 2-3Gbps

@antst

Odido can't help you when you have your own equipment connected, they also can't measure the line when own is equipment connected.

ONT is theirs :)

and problem is definitely behind ONT and the rest of world.

there is 0% chance that attaching zyxel to this ONT will magically show better speed. Worse - possibly :)

@antst 

Well atleast give it a try and connect only a laptop or pc wired to the Zyxel, share a printscreen of the result here and a moderator can further investigate this for you.

anyway, just in case, to exclude any doubts on my local infra, I will measure also with vyos router, which is capable of 40+gbps, but tomorrow.

@Waqqas yep, I will also ) it cost nothing )

it just easier for me to reconfigure local net to send traffic from ONT via vyos router, than unpack zyxel ))) in fist case I don’t need to stand up from my laptop even )

hm. actually, I can do even better! I can exclude any router at all and wire ONT to one of PCs directly.

@antst

These are the correct instructions of what Odido will need to start an investigation, with the Zyxel connected 😁

Without any router involved at all - it is ultimate test 🙂 no even slightly possible chance of local bottleneck )

“PC↔️router↔️ONT” can not be better than “PC↔️ONT” :)

ok, I have full speed. problem solved :)

Reageer