Beantwoord

Zyxel DX5401-B1 Lan Problem

• 18 September 2023
  • 11 reacties
  • 355 Bekeken

Hi.. I have been using the aforementioned model modem for the last 5 months. So far and still, wi-fi is working without any problems. BUT, I have not been able to connect through the LAN (wired) since the beginning and I was under the impression that it is something to do with my laptop. Well, now I have another machine which is a desktop and still no joy with the LAN. I tried many combos (different ports, different cables etc. ) and still no connection what-so-ever. I went over many settings and still the network is unidentified. I called the service desk today, and the response I got was something like : “From our side, you have internet available so we cannot order a service person to check it.” In a nutshell, I am bound to use only wi-fi and that is it..

I have been searching through the forums for this specific model and troubleshooting advices. The B1 model is a “crippled” one in the sense that the usually available control menus are out of the customers’ access. At least, this is what my case is. So, please share your solutions if anyone else had similar problem.

Cheers..

Mustafa

icon

Beste antwoord door Sven-Odido 19 September 2023, 07:36

Bekijk origineel

11 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

Hello @mkesal 

Have you tried giving the Zyxel a factory reset by pressing the reset button on the back of the Zyxel for about 10 seconds using a small object?

Hey Waqqas,

Yes, it was one of the many things I tried, even more than once.. 

More research on the issue revealed that this device only operates in Access Point mode. That is why, the documentations on its variants B0, B2, and B3 never ever mentions B1. Because it is actually not a router in generic sense, i.e., the bridging facilities are stripped off. In essence, no wired accesss is possible with this device if I gravely  misinterpreted what I gathered from here and there..  

Reputatie 7
Badge +4

More research on the issue revealed that this device only operates in Access Point mode. That is why, the documentations on its variants B0, B2, and B3 never ever mentions B1. Because it is actually not a router in generic sense, i.e., the bridging facilities are stripped off. In essence, no wired accesss is possible with this device if I gravely  misinterpreted what I gathered from here and there..  

The DX5401-B1 is a full router, otherwise none of your other devices would have internet either ;).

I see there is something connected to LAN3 atm.  

When you connect a PC wired does it grab a ip address from the DHCP?

Can you for example ping to 8.8.8.8 and google.nl?

Hi Sven,

Well, if we need to be careful about the labels, then let me put it this way: The device is acting only as an access point, i.e., I could not see any mode to operate it as a bridge with which I would have been able to connect my wired device. 

Now, I also see the connections (actually now there is another one on LAN1 as well) bright and shiny :) But there is no ping success with the connection. I even took down the level of firewall to Low from Medium. Yet still no success..

M

Reputatie 7
Badge +4

Hi Sven,

Well, if we need to be careful about the labels, then let me put it this way: The device is acting only as an access point, i.e., I could not see any mode to operate it as a bridge with which I would have been able to connect my wired device. 

Now, I also see the connections (actually now there is another one on LAN1 as well) bright and shiny :) But there is no ping success with the connection. I even took down the level of firewall to Low from Medium. Yet still no success..

M

Then still if it is only acting as a AP, your wireless wont have internet either. Cause they still need a router to route the traffic to the internet. But ok, this discussion is not solving your problem :) 

Does the PC has a ip address? 

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

Hey @mkesal, I would like to ask @TMTV to have an expert look at this. He can guide you step for step through the proces.

Hey Tommie,

That is great news! As a side note, I attempted to use my personal router instead of the one given by ISP. The thing is, now I can see two way packet transmission (earlier received was always 0) but still no internet :/

In any case, I think it is a matter of incorrect configuration and someone familiar with the device would be able to fix it (or deduce that there is a problem with the hardware) in no time.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

M

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

@mkesal, now if you connect the Zyxel to the ONT and disable wifi, then connect your own router wired and enable VLAN 300 on your own router. Will you then be able to connect to the internet? 

Hi,

When you say “disable wifi”, I hope you did not mean to do it for the Zyxel device. Because, it is a risk that I am not willing to take since it is the only interface that I can configure the device and if the solution does not work, then I will be doomed.

My naiive question is: What is it preventing me to directly connect my own router to OTN and have things working OK?

Best,

Mustafa

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

@mkesal ONT > managed switch > router without VLAN support is possible. If your router has VLAN support then you can connect the router directly to the ONT and set up VLAN 300 for the internet.

Reageer